8-11 October 2021♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙
After organizing two highly sucessful Texas Armed Forces Open Chess Championships (2017, 2018) and two Fort Worth Veterans Championships (2017, 2018), Army Retiree Jim Hollingsworth recognized a need for a nonprofit US Chess Affiliate dedicated to support chess-playing Veterans in Texas and beyond. Jim was aware of the American Legion's extensive history of supporting Military Chess. From May 15 to May 21, 1960 (Armed Forces Week), the first U.S. Armed Forces Chess Championship (USAFCC) was held at the American Legion Hall of Flags, in Washington, D.C.
Jim is a member of American Legion Post 379 in Bedford, Texas. The Post's leadership enthusiasically welcomed Jim's idea of moving his SERIOUS CHESS PLAYERS affiliate under the Post's 501(c)19 fundraising umbrella. Jim recognized a new name was essential to synch with the organization's purpose and mission. On October 12, 2018, this was accomplished by officially changing the affiliate's name to Texas Armed Forces Chess. The domain name was purchased the same day.
Since the affiliate is nonprofit, the final and most important transition phase had to wait until funds were raised to open a bank account. Sheryl McBroom, another chess-playing American Legion Post 379 member, donated and became a founding member of Texas Armed Forces Chess. On March 25, 2018 a Memorandum of Understanding was signed making the new relationship official.
(1) Whereas American Legion Post 379 (AL 379) is a nonprofit, 501(c)19 organization, and a patriotic veterans organization devoted to mutual helpfulness and committed to mentoring youth and sponsorship of wholesome programs in our communities, advocating patriotism and honor, promoting strong national security, and continued devotion to our fellow servicemembers and veterans.
(2) Whereas Texas Armed Forces Chess (TXAFC) is an Affiliate of US Chess (Number A6035657), authorized to conduct nationally rated events, and dedicated to organizing and sponsoring chess tournaments for chess playing veterans, and dedicated to assisting veterans playing in chess tournaments.
(3) TXAFC is hereby designated as a subordinate element of AL 379, for all fundraising and expenditure activities associated with paragraph (2) above.
(4) Jim Hollingsworth, a member of this post, is appointed Administrator for TXAFC. He is authorized to manage all affiliate activities and expenditures and raise funds under the AL 379 nonprofit umbrella. He will maintain and present appropriate financial records, reports and summaries to AL379 on schedule and upon demand.
(5) Upon dissolution of this agreement, there will be a full accounting and any unobligated funds will be equally divided between AL 379 and the organizers of the next US Armed Forces Open Chess Championship.
As of this date: August 28, 2019.
Supersedes all previous MOU's.
Mike McCrady, Adjutant
American Legion Post 379
Jim Hollingsworth, President
Texas Armed Forces Chess
Sincere thanks and appreciation to
for his extensive Military Chess Archives
Copyright © 2019 · All Rights Reserved